I work as an ambulance doctor. Late for work, took a taxi. We drive silently.
Here my phone rings. Look, my friend. It turned out that her three-year-old son already has a high temperature and does not lose anything, so she decided to consult with me.
I explained what to do and how to control the situation. After I calmed my friend, told me what to do, put the phone down, the taxi driver suddenly asked:
- You are a doctor?
- Yes, I work in the ambulance. You also advise? - I smiled.
- No, the taxi driver smiled too, - for some time now I have been driving doctors for free.
I decided that he was joking:
- This is a new state program?
- No, my personal program. Just a year ago, an emergency doctor did not let my child die after a car accident.
- Clear. But after all, it’s just our job, our duty, we get money for it, just as you earn your bread with your craft. Why refuse honestly earned money, I wondered.
- Obligation, of course, a duty, but there it was not only that. He is there, at the scene of the accident, some of your protocol violated. The second ambulance team said, Alice will not reach the hospital, they say, say goodbye here. And the boy decided to do the surgery right on the spot. My daughter still has a huge scar on her neck, but she is alive, and her grandchildren have not lost her mother.
The guy was then fired for not working according to the instructions. He went to his city and now rescues people there. And now I consider it my duty to thank God somehow, to say that then the guy in the shift sent to us, so I drive doctors for free. Which of them is really good, and who is bad - I don’t know, and it’s not my business to judge. Therefore, I do not take money from all indiscriminately!
I did not argue with him. Not because greedy and glad economy on the road.A lump in her throat stood that could not speak.
In our profession, indeed, different people meet, but I would also sacrifice work for the life of a man at that guy’s place!