Summer - the time of active pastime. And in order not to restrict the freedom of movement of bulky strollers, more and more mothers choose to wear slings with the baby. But which sling is better to choose for a newborn, and which one is suitable for an older child? How can mommy not get lost in the variety of devices for carrying children?
In general, it is impossible to say that a sling is better or worse than another. It all depends on the characteristics of the child, his age and weight. In addition, each sling can be the perfect solution for a given situation.
What are thetypes of slings?
Sling with rings
The sling on the rings is a strip of fabric about two meters long, about 60-70 cm wide, at one end of which there is a pad under the shoulder and rings, and the other end of the sling is tucked into rings so that its length can be adjusted. Such a sling is always worn on one shoulder, and today it is the most common.
- It is easily and quickly put on and removed, and therefore it is convenient for use at home. It can be easily removed unnoticed if the baby falls asleep.
- It is very convenient for walking with grown-up babies who are just starting to walk. They are interested in studying the world around them, but at the same time, they still often ask "on the handles", to plant and pull the child out of the sling with the rings will be the fastest.
- Regulated on the go.
- The ability to change poses on the go (from sitting to lying and vice versa), without bandaging the sling.
- Ideal for newborns and babies: it is easy to put the baby in the sling, it is convenient to feed.
The disadvantages of such a sling include the fact that it is worn on one shoulder and, when the baby grows up and becomes heavier, the load will be more and more noticeable and discomfort will be felt.
What to look for?
When buying such a sling, you need to pay attention to several important details:
- Bumpers. For newborn babies and infants for softness, it is better to take a sling with rim, optimally if they are thin, so that if necessary they can be pulled through the rings. If the sides are thick, pay attention to the size of the sling.
- Rings.Rings must be metal. Wood can crack, and plastic burst from the cold or under a large (sharp) load. Depending on the fabric used, the diameter of the rings can vary. Rings with a smaller diameter are not recommended, since it is very difficult to regulate the sling.
- The cloth. The fabric should be natural. Pay attention to this, especially if you take a baby sling for a newborn and a baby! Coarse calico and waffle fabric can be optimal fabrics for slings. They are soft, cool, do not slip in the rings, while the sling is easily adjustable.
In appearance, it is very similar to the usual carrier-kangaroo, but it has all the advantages of a sling, that is, the child sits correctly in a May-sling, the fabric supports his hips. The straps are wide and laid with padding polyester, making the load on the shoulders noticeably lighter. Externally, it looks like a square or rectangle of dense fabric, in the corners of which long straps are sewn. The lower straps are tied to the mother at the waist behind her back so that the square is in front and supports the back of the child.
May-sling is recommended for children who can already sit.
- Beautiful and stylish appearance, the perfect option to sling "on the way out".
- Uniform distribution of the load on the shoulders, back and lower back of the mother.
- Large variety of fabrics for sewing.
- It is worn faster and easier than sling-scarf.
- Not suitable for carrying children in horizontal positions.
- Requires some knotting skills.
- The width of the straps is not adjustable.
What to look for?
- Straps. They should be wide (10-14cm) and always filled, even if the fabric is dense. Attachment points of the upper straps should be reinforced with additional seams in the form of a square, triangle or any other shape.
- "Square". Its width can vary between 35-45 cm. But this is not important, and in the same sling you can carry both a six-month-old and a two-year-old child. If the sling is long, then it is simply shortened by bending the lap belt.
- The cloth. Here you can face a huge selection of fabrics. The best option is 100% cotton fabrics (coarse, velveteen, jeans, jacquard, etc.). It is acceptable to use fabrics containing synthetics if your child does not have allergic reactions to such fabrics.When choosing a fabric for May-Sling, one important point should be taken into account: it should not drag on.
Sling-scarf is a strip of fabric, from three to six meters in length, 45-70 cm in width. With the help of a scarf sling, you can “tie” the child to yourself in various positions, and while sitting and lying down. Sling-scarf can be worn on one shoulder or on two. In the sling-scarf you can wear babies from birth.
- Uniform distribution of the load on the shoulders, back and lower back of the mother. Ideal for carrying heavy children, as well as for long hours of walking (shopping, trips around the city).
- The diversity of options for the position of carrying children, both horizontal and vertical.
- Requires some skill in tying.
- It is difficult to bandage the sling in the street: at the beginning of tying, the ends of the scarf sling will drag along the ground and can get dirty in bad weather.
- Not very convenient for home use: long and hotter because of the number of layers of fabric wound.
What to look for?
- The cloth. For newborns and babies, a sling-scarf made of natural fabric is optimal.Older and heavier babies are more comfortable to wear in a lingering sling-scarf, for example, from such fabrics as Jacquard, some types of knitwear or stretch fabrics.
- Width. It depends on what fabric you have a sling-scarf. For stretching fabrics (for example, knitwear, fleece), a width of 50–60 cm is sufficient; for non-stretching fabrics (Jacquard, coarse calico), 60–70 cm is optimal.
- Length. Ideally determined by your size and the provisions in which you will carry the baby. Most scarf slings are sewn 5-6m long, in which case the excess fabric is simply wound around the waist. The length of 40 meters will be good for size 40-44, for the 46-50x sizes - 4.5-5m, from size 52 - 5-6m.
For summer, it is better to choose a sling with rings or a May-sling, and in the cold season you should be guided by your own tastes and preferences.
We hope our recommendations will help you make the right choice. Try to wear the baby in different models, and then you will understand exactly which sling for you and your crumbs will be the ideal option.
Reader UAUA.info Katerina Ilinishna: I, as an admirer of everything as natural as possible, have long decided for myself that I will not carry a child in a stroller, but I’ll carry it in a kengurushka or sling.After all, the baby near the mother is calmer, emotional contact is not lost, etc. Many, however, discourage, arguing that this is a load on the spine and all that.